- Back up your data! Use an online service like Mozy or Carbonite. It’s automatic, offsite and will save you if you get hit with the Cryptowall virus.
- Use good working virus protection. We like Avast for free virus protection. Need something a little more heavy duty? We like Vipre and EsetNod32.
- Bring in updates for Windows, your virus protection and any other important software.
- Having problems with your computer? RESTART IT! Having problems getting online? RESTART your modem and router in that order.
- Having problems with your email? Use Gmail. They seem to get hacked less often and have the most effective spam filter.
- Put Adblock on your Google Chrome and Internet Explorer browsers. It blocks most of the ads and minimizes the chances of your clicking on something bad by mistake.
- Computer won’t boot up? Unplug it, if it’s a laptop, pull out the battery, hold the power button in for 30-40 seconds. Try starting it now.
- Hate Windows 8? Download Classic start. It will make your computer look a little more like Windows 7 and ease your learning curve.
- Want to download free software but want to make sure the site is safe? Go to ninite.com and see if your software is there.
- Stop using Windows XP! Microsoft no longer supports it. If you are using Vista, it’s time to start thinking about moving on from that as well.
Tech Tips from TMC2May 4th, 2015 | Posted by Sue Martin">Sue Martin in Computer Protection | Computers | Home Network
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.
Visit us at Facebook
NEWS YOU CAN USE
JOIN US at Our Monthly Open HouseThe Naperville Women's Leads Club holds Open House meetings on the third Tuesday of EVERY MONTH! CONTACT US so we can make sure we save a place for you, but if you don't get the chance to call, please come anyway!
We meet every
Tuesday 7:15 – 8:30 AM.
The Sheraton Lisle Hotel
3000 Warrenville Rd.
Lisle IL 60532